Expectorants like Mucinex, cough suppressants like Robitussin, vapor rubs like Vicks VapoRub, and cough drops are all considered safe during pregnancy.
What cough syrup is safe during pregnancy?
Safe options include:
- plain cough syrup, such as Vicks.
- dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups.
- cough expectorant during the day.
- cough suppressant at night.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol; category B) to relieve pain and fever.
What can I drink for a cough while pregnant?
Drinking hot tea with honey, having hot soups or broths, and sipping warm water with a pinch of turmeric may help relieve cough and chest congestion in many women. Avoidance of smoking including second-hand smoke is an important tip to get better quickly.
How much cough syrup can a pregnant woman take?
Cough suppressants can come in immediate-release and extended-release preparations. The maximum dose for pregnant women is 120 mg in 24 hours.
Can you use Vicks on stomach while pregnant?
Yes, vapor rub is safe to use during pregnancy.
What is the home remedy for cough during pregnancy?
Home Remedies For A Cold & Cough During Pregnancy
- STAY HYDRATED.
- TAKE A PRENATAL VITAMIN.
- HOT SOUP.
- PINEAPPLE JUICE.
- BED REST.
Is zedex cough syrup safe during pregnancy?
Zedex Cough Syrup may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developing baby. Your doctor will weigh the benefits and any potential risks before prescribing it to you. Please consult your doctor.
What helps a severe cough while pregnant?
- To help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water.
- Dextromethorphan syrup (e.g. Benylin DM) can be used to relieve a dry cough.
- Most cough drops (e.g. Halls) are safe in pregnancy.
- Consult your family doctor if: Your cough persists beyond seven (7) days. …
- Avoid preparations containing pseudoephedrine.
How do I get rid of mucus in my chest while pregnant?
What You Can Do at Home
- Drink lots of fluids. Drink plenty of water and other fluids, but not things that can dehydrate you, such as coffee and alcohol.
- Humidify. Try a cool mist humidifier or hop into a steamy shower to keep your airways moisturized.
- Don’t smoke or vape anything. …
- Try a teaspoon of honey.
Is coughing during pregnancy normal?
Coughing during pregnancy is normal and can occur at any time due to hormonal changes. These changes can make a women a bit more sensitive to allergies, or more prone to catching respiratory viruses.
What is in Vicks cough syrup?
A: The active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are camphor (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic), eucalyptus oil (a cough suppressant) and menthol (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic). The inactive ingredients in Vicks VapoRub include cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol and turpentine oil.
What medications are not safe to take during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
Is menthol harmful during pregnancy?
Menthol is a common ingredient of many throat lozenges, sprays, and topical ointments. There are no human studies on the use of menthol during pregnancy; thus, its risk is undetermined. The concentration of menthol in these products is low, and the risk of malformations is therefore believed to be small.
What is Vicks VapoRub good for?
Vicks VapoRub is a popular over-the-counter (OTC) medication that is applied to the skin to treat coughs and relieve muscle aches and pain. Both symptoms are frequently caused by the common cold.